The Court House
The original court room is the setting for the start of the museum tour.
The site of the court house of Lake George has been a part of Warren County's history since the founding of the county on March 12, 1813. The first court house was completed in 1817 and stood for 26 years, until October 26, 1843 when it was destroyed by fire. In 1845, an architect from Glens Falls drew up plans for a new building.
A title stone located in the present foyer over the entryway to the original court room supports the evidence that this was the exterior part of the building. The court house was completed in fall of 1845, and the final cost was $3975.32. In 1878, the court house had to be expanded. A front portion was added with a tower and a clock. At the turn of the century, more jail cells and living quarters for the local sheriff and his family were provided.
Prisoners were held, tried, and convicted in this grand old building until 1963.
Excerpt from a report by Mary Ellen McGowan, Lake George High School Student -- 1/23/85