"The fort was built on the site of the 1755 Battle of Lake George when
Sir William Johnson and his British forces defeated French and Indian Troops
established British control over Lake George. IN 1759, as a base of
operations against Ft. Carillon on Lake Champlain, Gen. Jeffery Amherst
ordered construction of a large stone fort which he named Ft. George. When
Ft. Carillon was captured in 1760 Amherst began construction of a Ft. at
Crown Point and work on Fort George ceased. At the outbreak of the American
Revolution, Lake George and Fort George again assumed an important role. On
May 12, 1775 Americans seized Ft. George and its stores. From August 1775 to
July 1777 Ft. George served as a major supply depot hospital for the Northern
Continental Army. Burgoyne's troops used it as a supply depot during the
summer of 1777. Between 1778 and 1782 the fort was again in American
hands. The British seized the fort in 1781 and it was burned."
--Building Structure Inventory Form (undated)
Today the basic exterior walls still stand, but are not built up in some
sections. The largest section of the walls stands about 10 feet high.